Breaking News

'I didn't know how to handle the children, now i understand why people commit suicide': Rio Ferdinand admits he wasn't ready for the death of his wife

Rebecca Ferdinand, wife to former Man U and England star player Rio Ferdinand passed away in May 2015 after a brief battle with breast cancer and the footballer has now revealed in a new interview how her death made him wonder if he'll ever be able to feel happy again or be able to take care of his three children - aged 10, 8 and 5.

 Ferdinand won so many titles while with Manchester United, but sadly admitted that even champions like him find it hard surviving when life decides to throw a blow towards them as it took a long time before he decided to seek professional help

Speaking to Radio 5Live, Ferdinand, 38, revealed: 'It was six weeks from going into hospital and then Rebecca passing. You can't prepare. A lot of the problems I had after, I hadn't prepared to be in this position, as to what I tell the children.
'I didn't know how to carry on with the children. We couldn't have those conversations because it became so aggressive at a certain point.'
I'm sitting there thinking how can I ever be happy. I'm happy over here, but I look at my children and that brings me back to sadness again. 
'I was ignorant myself, I was thinking no way am I going to go see a shrink. On this journey, I got a great understanding that there are some fantastic people out there who help.'
Speaking about suicidal thoughts, he said:
'I didn't think about it myself but I understand people who get into that situation.Before I'd think that guy is so ignorant and selfish. Now I wouldn't do it but I understand why he's there.'
Ferdinand admitted he had some difficulties in explaining their mother's death to his children.
'It's a bad place to be when you're worried about your children's fears,' he continued. I didn't know any techniques to speak to the children, I didn't know what buttons to push. I'd been starting conversations with them to get the feelings down. They were able to shut down and walk away.'
But Ferdinand discovered a technique he had picked up on through counselling:
'We came up with the memory jar. One of the girls said she had a memory jar. They wrote down memories all the time of their mum. I thought that was a good idea.  
'Once I introduced it it opened everything up. It was a beautiful moment, to see them speak positively about their mum. It had been very sad, negative moments talking about their mum. It turned it from dark to bright.'

No comments

Feel free to share you opinion. Your feedback is always appreciated.

Take few seconds to share this post with friends/followers and take good care of yourself and your love one's.