Breaking News

Ladies: Exclusive interview with Kiss Daniel




Daniel Anidupe, popularly known as Kiss Daniel, is the artiste behind the hit single, ‘Woju.’ He talks about his foray into music
What does your name ‘Kiss Daniel’ mean?
I got the name when I was in school. I have a dimple in my cheek and in school, when you had dimples in both cheeks, you were called ‘Kisses’. Since I have just one, I was called ‘Kiss.’ Because there were other Daniels in school, the ladies added Kiss to my first name to tell me apart from the others.
So, when I started music I decided to stick with the name.
Did you plan to become a musician after graduation?
I am a graduate of Water Engineering from the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State. My intent was to seek employment in a bank if music did not work out. But I tried music and it worked out for me. I am presently undergoing the mandatory National Youth Service Corps programme.
How are you coping with the business of music and being a youth corp member?
I still report at my place of primary assignment. I know what I want. NYSC is important; so is my career. I wanted to empower myself and I did not want to graduate and start searching for a job. God has been faithful and things fell in place for me. There is no clash at all. My boss at my PPA understands and he has been wonderful. I still do what I have to do. I teach English language, Mathematics and Physics.
How did you find yourself doing music?
I started doing music when I was 11 years old. I used to write songs and most of the songs I wrote were about food, maybe because I liked food. My dad acknowledged my talent and encouraged me. He gave me money to record my first song with Jahbless in 2008. My mum was supportive too, but she was scared because she thought I would join bad company. I met Jahbless through my cousin when I was in the university. I used to hang out with him and Reminisce. I stayed with Jahbless whenever I was in Lagos and he let me record songs. He discovered me and brought me up. I recorded a song in 2008; that was the song my current Chief Executive Officer listened to and decided to sign me on.
What was the inspiration behind ‘Woju’?
Woju is not my first song. I wrote it three years ago when I was in school, but I recorded it a few months ago. It was inspired by some of the good songs I listened to. When I listen to songs like that, I strive to make something that would sound better. Sometimes, I get inspiration by just sitting and hearing tunes play in my head.
How do you intend to handle the competition in the industry?
There is no competition for me. When my time comes, I will not struggle with anyone. God set me apart from ther artistes. Other artistes had their time and they made their money. They are all good, but it is my time and I have to make the best of it. If I make good music and people come for me, then it is because I have done something they like. Likewise, they would go to other artistes if they did something they liked.
What will happen to your certificate in water engineering?
My certificate is intact. I still need it for endorsements. I also intend to do some business, so it will come in handy. Moreover, I have to show my kids proof that I went to school.
Would you like to have kids soon?
I love kids. I am neither married nor engaged as we speak. But if I meet someone today, I could get married soon because the coast is clear. By the time I become very famous, it might be difficult to find true love.
Are you into music for the money or you have a genuine passion for it?
I am doing music because of the love I have for music. But people tell me I can do it as a means of survival in this wicked world. There are no friends, no foes and no family; just people with their wants and needs.
Are there experiences that led to that conclusion?
Yes, there are but I would not like to talk about it. People could have family ties with no connection. One can also find a friend in a foe. It is a line in one of my songs.
How has your life changed since releasing ‘Woju’?
A lot has changed about me. My professional career started on May 1, 2014 and since then, I have received numerous favours from people. God has been good and some A-list artistes have commended and supported me as well.
Have you been embarrassed by fans?
One cannot escape that. My fans have supported me right from the first day. They contact me on social media all the time, although sometimes I do not respond because I have to work. Some have insulted me as well. When I do not reply their messages, I am probably working to produce good music. One cannot afford to make enemies in the entertainment industry.
How do your friends see you now?
I do not keep too many friends, but people around me call me sometimes. When I do not pick their calls, they think it is deliberate. Some understand, while others do not.
How do you intend to handle fame?
Everyone has his turn and when that turn is over, someone else will take over. What will keep one longer on the scene is humility and not letting the fame get into one’s head. I am who I am and I am not moved by the fame.
How do you intend to improve yourself and remain relevant in the music industry?
It will take God’s grace to achieve that. I do not have the formula right now, but I have someone that has it and that is God. I put my faith in Him. I am not a one-hit-one-down kind of person. I want to learn how to play some instruments like the guitar, piano and drums. That will buoy my act. I have started my vocal training and I will perfect it soon.
How do you like to dress?
I like white-wear and that is my favourite colour. I am either wearing all-white or all-black attire.
How do you keep fit?
I work out, but I am yet to develop my abs. I have a slim stature and I want to add some flesh.
What are your hobbies?
I like to play computer games when I am at home. Sometimes when I have to sleep out, I go with my computer games. Also, I like to sleep. I used to sew; I have a machine at home, but I have not done that in a while.

No comments

Feel free to share you opinion. Your feedback is always appreciated.

Take few seconds to share this post with friends/followers and take good care of yourself and your love one's.